So we all know we need to drink lots of water each day right?. But do you know why it’s so important? And how on earth do you hit that 2-3litre quota each day????.
The skin is the largest organ in our bodies and its vital we keep it hydrated, in order that our bodies can function properly. Over half our body is made up water, and throughout the day, we lose a lot of it through perspiration, peeing and even breathing, so it’s super important to keep those water levels topped up. Staying hydrated helps our body function at its best. It helps balance our body temperature, keeps our minds focused, flushes out toxins from our bodies , helps relieve headaches and hangovers and keeps our energy levels up. An easy way of seeing how hydrated you are, is to notice how clear your pee is , the clearer it is more hydrated you are!.
Some days though , it can be really tough to get those 2 litres in . It’s one of the tasks , some of my small group guys struggle with the most , so here are some of my top tips for hitting that 2-3 litres of water.
- start the day with a cup of hot water and lemon. This will kick start your digestion, help remove toxins from your body and get your internal organs prepared for the day!. Lime makes a great alternative too. Try adding ginger too if you have a cold or sore throat. Ginger is a natural antiseptic.
- Use a pretty glass – I use a large plastic glass as I have it on my desk with me throughout the day. I have Rainauds diisease, so touching cold things can make my fingers go all white especially in winter, so plastic works better for me. Its also large enough that it can hold 500ml of water. This means I know that as long as I drink 4 – 5 of these throughout the day, I know I got my 2 .5 litres in and 4 large glasses doesnt seem quite so overwhelming. You can use any kind of glass though, if you want to use your largest wine glass – go for it!!. Heck through in a funky straw and even an umbrella too! .
- Add fruit for flavour and detox – A lot of people avoid water as they find it really boring, but it really doesn’t have to be!. Get yourself on Pintrest where there a ton of ideas for adding fruit and mint to your water to jazz it up and act as a mini detox , just like when we add the lemon to our morning cup of hot water. Adding lemon and limes can help flush out toxins, adding Mint will aid digestion . Adding Ginger which is a natural antiseptic and pain reliever, Cucumber contains anti- flammatory properties . one of my favourites is Lemon, Lime and strawberries! . Go wild and experiment with different variations, to make your own favourite!.
- use an app – there are a ton of them such as water tracker which can help remind you to keep drinking that water!, you could even also set the alarm on your phone every hour.
- Keep it close by! – keep your water near to hand, and try and get in the habit of taking regular sips. Out and about for the day? , take a bottle with you, or invest in a funky water bottle you can use when you go workout and when you are out and about!. Out of sight , out of mind , – so keep that water close to hand and eyesight!!.
6. Do you love being a spot of competition?, get yourself a 2 litre bottle of water and challenge yourself to a task of finishing that bottle by the end of the day!
If you have any other tips , please do share, your tip might just help,someone else! or if you try any of these tips and they help you, please do comment below and/or come follow us on Facebook- lilmisfit1 and Instagram- .@littlemisfitjojo. I’d also love to hear or see your water creations so definitely tag me in those pictures too!. Try getting your 2-3 litres in every day for a week and see how much better you feel and how quickly it becomes a habit!.